Free Shipping on All Orders
nv clothingWomenMen

blog

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Cy Twombly



I've always been a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to art. I think this stems largely from growing up in an equestrian household where horse and hound style oil paintings reign supreme. When my family lived abroad there were many trips down to Christie's and Sotheby's with my father to select new works which almost always fell into the same category of the pieces hanging all around my house.

Last week I went to the Art Institute of Chicago and after viewing all the usual suspects- Monet, Manet, Gaugin, Van Gogh........ I wandered into the new modern wing. While some of the work was over my head- the multiple video screens portraying a hysterical (and I dont mean in a funny way) clown only made me think of John Wayne Gacy- there were a few pieces I fell head over heels in love with. My runaway favorite were the beautifuls canvases by Cy Twombly- the use of color and sheer magnitude of the works really struck me. I really understood the huge source of inspirtation these beautiful works could have on a designer- the colors and style appeared to be almost print-like.

So while my favorite artists are still Lagerfeld, Decarnin, Galliano, and of course the inimitable Ms. Chanel, I now have another to add to the roster.

No comments:

Post a Comment